Gov. Mike DeWine creates minority task force to examine disproportionate number of African-Americans with coronavirus
5.3ksharesBy Laura Johnston, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Gov. Mike DeWine has created a working group to examine why African-American Ohioans are disproportionately affected by the coronavirus.
Ursel J. McElroy, the who leads the Ohio Department of Aging, will serve on the Minority Health Strike Force, DeWine said at his statehouse briefing Monday.
For the 11,499 cases in which the Ohio Department of Health knows the race of coronavirus cases, 24.1 percent of patients are African-American, 54.6 percent are white, and 21.2 are other or multi-race. African-Americans make up about 13 percent of the Ohio population.
MORE COVID-19 OHIO UPDATES
- COVID-19 Dashboard – Case Demographics
- Ohio Coronavirus Website- Ohio Department o Health
- Ohio Department of Mental Health & Addiction Services (OhioMHAS)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
- Ohio Grandparent/Kinship Coalition
- Ohio Family Care Association
- Ohio State Legal Services Association
- El Centro Lorain
- Ohio Council of Churches